SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2010

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 2010 18:00:06 +0100

On Jan 28, 2010, at 16:24 , Alan Bartlett wrote:

> On 28 January 2010 15:18, Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Tim Edwards wrote:
>>>
>>> Does SL4 i386 have a 'HUGEMEM' kernel build or do you just build those
>>> features into the normal -smp kernel build in order to support 64GB RAM?
>>>
>>> What is the memory limit on SL5 i386?
>
>> Wow, that SL page is old.  Three years old.  I need to update it and put
>> caveat's on it.  The problem is that I can't put a link to RedHat's page
>> even though that is where I get the information.
>
> Perhaps I may be permitted to mention the CentOS product page --
>
> http://www.centos.org/product.html
>
> As the objective of the CentOS Project is to be 100% binary compatible
> with TUV's product, the information on that page should have some
> relevance to SL users.  :-)

But then, it's not completely accurate either ;-) I don't see it mention the largesmp and PAE kernels, for instance.

Tim, I think the SL5/32 limit is 4 GB (3 GB usable) with the regular kernel, 16 GB with the PAE one. I guess the PAE kernel doesn't get as much testing in the field as x86_64. Just curious: why would you want to run a 32-bit OS on a machine with that much RAM?

Regards,
    Stephan

--
Stephan Wiesand