SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 2010 09:18:04 -0600
Tim Edwards wrote:
> We're trying to work out memory limits for 32-bit versions of SL4 and 5.
> Redhat's page (http://www.redhat.com/rhel/compare/) says that the
> maximums are 64GB or RHEL4 and 16GB for RHEL5 (I guess because they
> dropped the HUGEMEM kernel RPM in RHEL5).
>
> This page (http://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/misc/limits)
> says that it's 64GB in SL4 but gives no information for SL5. So two
> questions:
>
> Does SL4 i386 have a 'HUGEMEM' kernel build or do you just build those
> features into the normal -smp kernel build in order to support 64GB RAM?
>
> What is the memory limit on SL5 i386?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tim Edwards

Wow, that SL page is old.  Three years old.  I need to update it and put
caveat's on it.  The problem is that I can't put a link to RedHat's page
even though that is where I get the information.

We use RedHat's kernel with no changes, compiling it to be compatible
with their kernel.  So whatever RedHat has listed for limits is what we
have for limits.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group