SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2010

From:
"P. Larry Nelson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
P. Larry Nelson
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 2010 10:48:57 -0600
Hi Troy,

Troy Dawson wrote:
> Here is the script that yum-conf (not yum) runs on install to turn
> itself on.
>
> /sbin/chkconfig --add yum
> /sbin/chkconfig yum on
> /sbin/service yum restart >> /dev/null
>
> If you had previously turned yum off
>   /sbin/chkconfig --level 2345 yum off
> Then it is going to *stay* off.
>
> This has been in every yum-conf since SL 4.0, so I'm not quite sure what
> is happening on your machines Steve.
>
> Troy

I can't vouch for Steve, but in my case, I've never intentionally
turned yum off.  All our remaining 4.8 systems started out life as 4.6.
The nightly yum always ran.  Then after I upgraded to 4.8, that's when
I started noticing that the systems weren't running the nightly yum.
At the time, I was too busy to worry or care much about it as we started
transitioning to 5.4.  But I just had to rebuild a couple of compute
servers that still need to run 4.8, and being too lazy to download
and burn 4.8 discs, I used my old 4.6 discs and then followed the
upgrade HowTo.  Paid attention to what happened this time - thus my
posting to the list.

- Larry

--
P. Larry Nelson (217-244-9855) | Systems/Network Administrator
461 Loomis Lab                 | High Energy Physics Group