SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-ANNOUNCE Archives

January 2010

SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-ANNOUNCE@LISTSERV.FNAL.GOV

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 2010 09:14:34 -0600
Tim Edwards wrote:
> On 27/01/10 17:23, Troy Dawson wrote:
>> Hello,
>> The Scientific Linux development team has put out a roadmap for the
>> future of Scientific Linux 4.
>>
>> http://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/roadmap
>>
>> Scientific Linux 4 is going to follow the same type of roadmap that we
>> followed for Scientific Linux 3.
>>
>> SL 4.9 will be a "legacy" release.  It will be supported until
>> the time that RedHat no longer supports RHEL 4, which is February 2012.
>> This release will only get minimal support, security updates only.  Red
>> Hat calles this "Production 3 Life Cycle Phase" which is
>>
>>   "During Production 3, at a minimum, qualified security errata of
>>    important or critical impact and selected mission critical bug fixes
>>    may be released independent of minor releases.
>>
>>    No new functionality, new hardware enablement or updated installation
>>    images are planned for release in Production 3 life cycle phase.
>>    There are no minor releases planned during this phase."
>>
>> https://www.redhat.com/security/updates/errata/
>>
>> SL 4.0-4.8 will be obsoleted.  Currently that is set to October 10,
>> 2010.  That date is flexible.  We want to give users at least 6 months
>> to update to SL 4.9.  So if SL 4.9 takes too long to be released, we
>> will move the October date back.

>> SL 4.9 : Minimal support (security only) until February 2012
>>
>> Thank You
>> Scientific Linux Development Team
>
> Just wondering what you mean by SL 4.0-4.8 being 'obsolete'? Is it the
> same as saying that SL4.0-4.7 are currently 'obsolete'?
>

> Tim Edwards

I guess I wasn't clear on that part.  I think I was assuming that people
were around when we obsoleted SL 301-308, which many people aren't.

They will no longer get any security and/or bug fix updates.
We will no longer test errata against these releases.
We will move them into the "obsoletes" area.  This way if people still
want to use them they still can, but your average or beginning SL user
won't be confused thinking they are still fully supported.  And mirrors
will not feel obligated to have to mirror them.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group