SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2009

From:
Neil Aggarwal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neil Aggarwal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 2009 21:51:00 -0600
> What is the best approach to handle incremental backup
> data, if hard disks are not that reliable this days?
> (This is a home system, and tape drives and variants are out!)

That depends on the size of your data.
How big are we talking about?

For me, I use Subversion to keep full history of my
development files on a remote server.  For the databases,
I pull daily backups using scp.  Then, at the end
of each week, I write the data backups and a copy
of all my working files to a DVD.

That works well for me.

> Which are the best marks of hard drives to purchase,
> especially for linux-based systems that can be on for
> relatively long periods -- 6-24 hours a day?

I use Seagate drives on all my servers.  They are running
Linux and are on 24x7.  Failures are very rare and Seagate
replaces anything that fails within 5 years with no
hassle.

I hope this helps,
	Neil

--
Neil Aggarwal, (281)846-8957, http://UnmeteredVPS.net
CentOS 5.4 VPS with unmetered bandwidth only $25/month!