SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2009

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 2009 22:37:29 -0800
I recently purchased a slightly-used Thinkpad T60 laptop with
a 15 inch standard screen, and upgraded the display to a QXGA
( 2048x1536 ) screen.  0.15mm pixels, slightly smaller than an
iPhone .  Very crisp characters in the xterms.

Still learning how to set some things up.  Many apps are not
designed to work with such high resolution or with "large" fonts.
Firefox gets confused, and sometimes the display is slow with
webapps like Google Maps.   Opera renders better, but has many
other issues.  I run the machine in 1024x768 double-pixel mode
to work with my computer projector.  I set up a separate user
account to do that, so it does not mess up my usual desktop.

The upgrade instructions I followed are here:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_a_QXGA_display_in_a_R/T60_or_61

The instructions use the Windoze app "Powerstrip" to rewrite the
EDID nvram in the display, and require getting a secret password
from the app vendor.  Thinkpads require special EDID codes.  Perhaps
one of the I2Ctools will do the rewrite, but the documentation
is poor and I did not have time to figure out what to do.

After brief windoze pollution, the machine is running SL5.4 now.
If anyone has suggestions for using I2Ctools on the next one I
build, or speeding up the radeon driver, or wants help building
their own Frankenstein QXGA T60, please contact me.

Hopefully, the T60s will last until business users realize they've
been defrauded by "wide" (that is, vertically reduced) displays,
and demand that manufacturers start making standard-sized displays
again.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]         Voice (503)-520-1993