SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2009

From:
Alan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 2009 12:30:04 +0000
2009/12/17 Jim Green <[log in to unmask]>:
> Thank you to all who replied.  I am, you probably guessed, a bit of
> a RH virgin and didn't know about the heavy patching applied to
> kernels -- I'm from the Debian world where a range of kernels is always
> available and trying them out is just an apt-get away. Please excuse
> my faux pas.

No problem. :-)

> Garrett Holmstrom:
>> The right way to fix this problem would be to file a bug against the
>> kernel package so upstream can backport a fix.  They add bugfixes
>> and new features by patching the same kernel version so the release
>> can keep the same version throughout its lifetime while still remaining
>> useful.
>
> I'll do that, but do you mean the kernel devs at kernel.org
> or RH or SL?

Essentially TUV to SL, in words rather than acronyms, Red Hat -- via
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/frontpage.cgi

It might be worth being aware of the RHEL 5 testing kernels that are
made available by Don Zickus -- http://people.redhat.com/dzickus/el5/
Usually the patches that are present in Don's testing kernels
eventually make their way into the next RHEL kernel release and hence
the SL (and CentOS) kernels.

> Cheers, and thanks again for all the help

You're welcome.

Alan.