SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2009

From:
Garrett Holmstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Garrett Holmstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 10:36:36 -0600
From: "Jim Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:59 AM

> I'm trying to set up an SL5 client for a kerberos/LDAP/NFS4 server.  I'
> getting
> a kernel panic on the client in certain situations (writing to a file
> which I do not
> own but do have group write permissions) and from the oops I think that

> this
> is a kernel bug fixed in 2.6.20.  Sadly, yum shows me only 2.6.18 kerne
ls
> and
> the problem persists on the most recent (2.6.18-164.6.1.el15)
>
> So to my question : How can one install a kernel >= 2.6.20 on SL5 ?
> I couldn't find SL rpms/srpms and googling for the experience of others

> wanting to do this turns up little useful info.

The right way to fix this problem would be to file a bug against the kern
el
package so upstream can backport a fix.  They add bugfixes and new featur
es
by patching the same kernel version so the release can keep the same vers
ion
throughout its lifetime while still remaining useful.

I once got curious and tried compiling and running a newer Fedora kernel
on
my RHEL system, and while I got it to work, running a newer kernel versio
is generally a very bad idea because the rest of the system is built with

the assumption that it's running under Linux 2.6.18.  You would likely be

shooting yourself in the foot.

--
Garrett Holmstrom
University of Minnesota School of Physics and Astronomy