SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2009

Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:37:46 +0000

Andrew Stallard wrote:

> Well, I tried burning the DVD images using magic ISO, but my driver would
> not recognize them,

check dvd's on another system to help place fault.

> so, I switched to the CD's. I managed to burn the images using these.
>
> Now, upon trying to do the installation, it failed. Upon using the
> mediacheck feature, the first CD was found to have errors.

did you have a good checksum on '*.iso' files when you downloaded them?

if ok, try burning of 1st cd at a slower speed to see if you get a good
checksum. when you get a good burn, use that speed to burn rest of cd's.

> (I checked the next three disks, they had problem too according to the
> test.) However, upon looking at the contents of the disks, I saw no
> obviously corrupted files.

how do you know what is good and what is bad?

text, yes. binary, only if you mount a known good iso as a loop mount and
compare file by file. or, you have check sums for each individual file.

> Did anybody else have this problem?

no. i run checksum on downloads and use high quality blanks.

> In addition, I live in China now, and I buy a local brand of disks--Banana
> Digital. Could this brand be particularly prone to bugs?

low quality, ie, low cost, dvd/cd blanks will/can give you bad burns.

bugs are a whole different thing.

solutions: burn at lower speed or buy high quality blanks.

hth.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.