SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2009

From:
Tom Rockwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Rockwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 2009 11:03:01 -0500
Hi,

I have a question about using FQDN in krb5.conf.

It seems that Kerberos libraries do an extra DNS lookup if the krb5.conf
doesn't use complete FQDNs when specifying servers.

For example with a FNAL.GOV stanza in krb5.conf like this:

        FNAL.GOV = {
          default_domain = fnal.gov
          admin_server = krb-fnal-admin.fnal.gov
          kdc = krb-fnal-1.fnal.gov:88
          kdc = krb-fnal-2.fnal.gov:88
          kdc = krb-fnal-3.fnal.gov:88
          kpasswd_protocol = SET_CHANGE
        }

MIT Kerberos does an extra check to see if krb-fnal-admin.fnal.gov is a
FQDN.  If the server names are specified as proper FQDNs (note the final
".").  Then there is no need to do this check.  If name resolution on
the client is slow, this can be a factor of 2 difference in time to get
a ticket (note that this was testing on our own realm and not FNAL.GOV).

        FNAL.GOV = {
          default_domain = fnal.gov
          admin_server = krb-fnal-admin.fnal.gov.
          kdc = krb-fnal-1.fnal.gov.:88
          kdc = krb-fnal-2.fnal.gov.:88
          kdc = krb-fnal-3.fnal.gov.:88
          kpasswd_protocol = SET_CHANGE
        }

Is there a reason not to use the proper FQDN?  Most of the examples for
krb5.conf don't show using FQDNs.

I saw this in a note on the MIT Kerberos list:

http://mailman.mit.edu/pipermail/kerberos/2006-September/010545.html

Thanks,
Tom Rockwell