SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 2009 10:46:29 -0600
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Thank you all for that helpful information. However, I have run into
> another problem. I have mounted the first .iso file but I can not find
> where the installation file--is it .sh or .exe?--is. Does anybody know
> what file to look for in order to get this started, or point me to the
> documentation where I can find this information?
>
> Thank You for Responding:
>
> Andrew Stallard

.iso files are CD or DVD images.
Although they can be mounted so you can read and use what is on them,
that is not the way they are intended to be used to do an install or
upgrade.
First, burn them to a CD or DVD.  (I'm going to assume DVD since you are
saying there are only two)
When you burn them, burn them as an iso image, not as a file.
An example of doing this, if you are using K3b to burn them, select
Tools -> Burn DVD ISO image

After you have burned the image to a DVD, reboot your machine, and have
it boot off the DVD.  When it get's to the screen that give you the
option of installing or upgrading, select upgrade.  Take the recommended
  option for the boot loader, and then everything else should just go by
itself.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group