SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2009

From:
Donald Tripp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donald Tripp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 2009 00:07:46 -1000
When you do any upgrade its always important to make a backup of critical system files along with the user space. If you have any special daemons running make sure to backup the config files for those as well. From 4 to 4 there were some base level changes, so you may have to do a bit of tweaking, but probably not much. When you reboot make sure the grub config loads the newest kernel, so the highest number. I'm assuming your probably running ext3, so you should be fine.

When you think of "upgrading" a linux system, don't think of it in terms of a windows desktop like upgrade, but more like a bunch of updates put together. Yes, there were some significant changes in RHEL/SL 5, but not really any earth-shatering stuff. If you ever look at the iso files once they are mounted, all you will see is a bunch of RPM files. The "upgrade" will install these RPM files, and any necessary dependencies. Many of them will simply be newer versions of files you already have. If there are new files, or some older files that will no longer be used, your system will just take more hard drive space then a clean install would. If an RPM creates a new configuration file, the original should still be there as well.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any system specific applications that had major configuration file changes between SL 4 and 5. The way your network interfaces are handled will change in 5.4, so if you made any changes to the ifcfg-eth files you will may have to modify the corresponding network service files.

Good luck!