SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2009

From:
"Alec T. Habig" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alec T. Habig
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 2009 08:19:03 -0600
Keith Lofstrom writes:

> What is a surprise is the nonappearance of Scientific Linux on
> this list:
>    http://www.top500.org/stats/list/34/os

Looking at it, if I'm correct CentOS is the only "free" OS on there
(with 8 installs).  I'm guessing that if you've got the $$ to build a
top 500 computer, you're willing to pay for a service contract on  your
OS to better keep it running.

On the other hand, what the heck is "Linux".  Looks like they weren't
very consistent in their naming methodology.  There's also "Red Hat
Linux" by itself as well as broken into RHEL4 and RHEL5.

--
 	    Alec Habig, University of Minnesota Duluth Physics Dept.
		       http://neutrino.d.umn.edu/~habig/