SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:40:15 -0600
Chris Tooley wrote:
> Geerd-Dietger Hoffmann wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Chris Tooley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> My google foo is apparently not good enough to find a page that might
>>> describe the process of switching from centos4 to SL4.. Does anyone know of
>>> a good HOWTO or tutorial about this?
>> Could you please be a little more precise. Do you want to use the SL
>> packages and leave the base (difficult) or do you want to reinstall?
>> Changing a running system could be quite hard.
>>
>> Cheers Didi
>
> Hi!
>
> I would like it to identify as Scientific Linux, and use the Scientific
> Linux repos for regular updates - reinstall sounds like I may have to
> burn an ISO...?
>
> Thanks,
> -Chris

If you just want to switch a running system, I *think* this would be all
you need to do.

1 - Point Yum to look at SL yum repositories
1a - rm -f /etc/yum.repos.d/*repo
(a bit drastic, but if you want to go slow, just move everything)
1b (SL5) - rpm -Uvh
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/5x/i386/misc/RPMS/yum-conf-latest.SL.noarch.rpm

1b (SL4) - rpm -Uvh
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/4x/i386/misc/RPMS/yum-conf-latest.SL.noarch.rpm

2 - Replace the following packages:
yum (from centos) -> yum (from SL)
centos-release -> sl-release
centos-release-notes -> sl-release-notes (SL5 Only)
2a - yum clean all
(or even better 'rm -rf /var/cache/yum')
2b - yum update yum
2c - yum install sl-release\*

3 - Do a yum update, cleaning up the rest of the stuff.

Note: I have not done or tried this.   But it seems logical.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group