SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2009

From:
"P. Larry Nelson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
P. Larry Nelson
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 2009 15:44:34 -0600
Steve,

Steven Timm wrote on 11/12/2009 3:03 PM:
> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009, P. Larry Nelson wrote:

	[snip...]

>> The concerned part:  I know I can easily install yum-utils (now that
>> I know about it), but why is it not included in SL, and more importantly
>> is there a possibility that something gets screwed up by *not* running
>> yum-complete-transaction, when my SL5 yum says to?  Instead, I ignored
>> that and just went ahead with a 'yum update' and as far as I can tell,
>> things are ok.
>
> If yum update exited clean then you are good to go, no
> yum-complete-transaction is necessary.
>
> Steve

Nope, all 3 systems that hung on the update still needed a dose of
yum-complete-transaction.

I decided to 'yum install yum-utils' on the 3 and in doing so, yum
informed me that I had unfinished transactions.  So, after installing
the yum-utils, I ran 'yum-complete-transaction' and 3 packages (popt,
cups-libs, and nfs-utils-lib) apparently had not completed what they
needed to do when yum hung.  I believe it had not erased the old
versions of these 3 packages.

IMO, yum-utils should be part of the default yum package for SL.
Is there a good reason they are not? [Troy/Connie question]

Thanks again!
- Larry
--
P. Larry Nelson (217-244-9855) | Systems/Network Administrator
461 Loomis Lab                 | High Energy Physics Group