SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2009

From:
"P. Larry Nelson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
P. Larry Nelson
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 2009 14:57:53 -0600
Hi Steve, starting a new thread here as this has segued off the
original subject.

Steven Timm wrote on 11/12/2009 1:59 PM:
 > It's part of the yum-utils rpm which is not
 > installed by default in SL but is available via yum install
 > If you're running a Red Hat 5 system (as opposed to SL5)
 > it's indispensable to have yum-complete-transaction; you end
 > up using it a lot.
 >
 > Steve

So, now I'm a bit curious and concerned.

The curious part:  What is it about yumming in RHEL 5, and apparently
not in SL5, that makes yum-complete-transaction indispensable?  :-)

The concerned part:  I know I can easily install yum-utils (now that
I know about it), but why is it not included in SL, and more importantly
is there a possibility that something gets screwed up by *not* running
yum-complete-transaction, when my SL5 yum says to?  Instead, I ignored
that and just went ahead with a 'yum update' and as far as I can tell,
things are ok.

- Larry
--
P. Larry Nelson (217-244-9855) | Systems/Network Administrator
461 Loomis Lab                 | High Energy Physics Group