SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2009

From:
Faye Gibbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Faye Gibbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 2009 10:56:14 +0000
Hi,

  Back in the day (just before x86_64 came out) you could get a 64 bit
hardware emulator that would run 64bit linux (x86_64) on a 32bit linux
system (i386).

  If it came to it and there was no other way that would be an option.

  But having said that when I once ran it it was very slow and
personally now-a-days it would be easier to ssh to someone elses 64bit
machine if I didn't have one myself.

  You might also be able to use a Solaris or Alpha to cross compile for
the x86_64 instruction set.

Faye

Troy Dawson wrote:
> Hi,
> My first thoughts are that it might be easier to just ftp the files
> instead of using yum.
> But then I looked again at what you are doing.
> I'm not saying it cannot be done.  But I have never been able to build a
> 64 bit image on a 32 bit machine.  I can build a 32 bit on a 64, but I
> haven't ever been able to do it the other way around.
> I don't want to discourage you, because someone else might be able to do
> it, but if I were you, I'd find someplace that was 64 bit and start from
> there.
> Troy
>
> Wayne Betts wrote:
>> A colleague here is trying to build a 64-bit network boot image, but he
>> is creating it on a 32-bit host.  We can't figure out how to make yum
>> grab the 64-bit packages in this case. Any idea what we can do to
>> force yum to grab 64-bit packages while
>> running on a 32-bit host?  We tried specifying the x86_64 architecture
>> as in the following example, but this doesn't work:
>>
>> [root@hlt-test yumtest]# uname -m
>> i686
>> [root@hlt-test yumtest]# yum --downloadonly --downloaddir=/tmp/yumtest
>> install agg.x86_64
>> Loaded plugins: downloadonly, kernel-module
>> Setting up Install Process
>> Parsing package install arguments
>> No package agg.x86_64 available.
>> Nothing to do
>>

>> The opposite situation works fine - I tried a 64-bit host and was able
>> to get the 32-bit packages as expected:
>>
>> [root@fc4 yumtest]# uname -m
>> x86_64
>> [root@fc4 yumtest]# yum --disablerepo=epel --downloadonly
>> --downloaddir=/tmp/yumtest install agg.i386
>> Loaded plugins: downloadonly, kernel-module, keys
>> Setting up Install Process
>> Parsing package install arguments
>> Resolving Dependencies
>> --> Running transaction check
>> ---> Package agg.i386 0:2.4-2.1 set to be updated
>> --> Processing Dependency: libSDL-1.2.so.0 for package: agg
>> --> Running transaction check
>> ---> Package SDL.i386 0:1.2.10-8.el5 set to be updated
>> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
>> Beginning Kernel Module Plugin
>> Finished Kernel Module Plugin
>>
>> Dependencies Resolved
>>
>> ============================================================================================================================================
>>
>>  Package                      Arch
>> Version
>> Repository                        Size
>> ============================================================================================================================================
>>
>> Installing:
>>  agg                          i386
>> 2.4-2.1
>> sl-base                          139 k
>> Installing for dependencies:
>>  SDL                          i386
>> 1.2.10-8.el5
>> sl-base                          233 k

> [...]

Faye Gibbins, Computing Officer (Infrastructure Services)
      GeoS KB; Linux, Unix, Security and Networks.
Beekeeper  - The Apiary Project, KB -   www.bees.ed.ac.uk

   I grabbed at spannungsbogen before I knew I wanted it.
                  (x(x_(X_x(O_o)x_x)_X)x)

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body,
registered in Scotland, with registration number SC005336.