SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:35:25 -0600
Hi,
My first thoughts are that it might be easier to just ftp the files
instead of using yum.
But then I looked again at what you are doing.
I'm not saying it cannot be done.  But I have never been able to build a
64 bit image on a 32 bit machine.  I can build a 32 bit on a 64, but I
haven't ever been able to do it the other way around.
I don't want to discourage you, because someone else might be able to do
it, but if I were you, I'd find someplace that was 64 bit and start from
there.
Troy

Wayne Betts wrote:
> A colleague here is trying to build a 64-bit network boot image, but he
> is creating it on a 32-bit host.  We can't figure out how to make yum
> grab the 64-bit packages in this case.
> Any idea what we can do to force yum to grab 64-bit packages while
> running on a 32-bit host?  We tried specifying the x86_64 architecture
> as in the following example, but this doesn't work:
>
> [root@hlt-test yumtest]# uname -m
> i686
> [root@hlt-test yumtest]# yum --downloadonly --downloaddir=/tmp/yumtest
> install agg.x86_64
> Loaded plugins: downloadonly, kernel-module
> Setting up Install Process
> Parsing package install arguments
> No package agg.x86_64 available.
> Nothing to do
>

> The opposite situation works fine - I tried a 64-bit host and was able
> to get the 32-bit packages as expected:
>
> [root@fc4 yumtest]# uname -m
> x86_64
> [root@fc4 yumtest]# yum --disablerepo=epel --downloadonly
> --downloaddir=/tmp/yumtest install agg.i386
> Loaded plugins: downloadonly, kernel-module, keys
> Setting up Install Process
> Parsing package install arguments
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Running transaction check
> ---> Package agg.i386 0:2.4-2.1 set to be updated
> --> Processing Dependency: libSDL-1.2.so.0 for package: agg
> --> Running transaction check
> ---> Package SDL.i386 0:1.2.10-8.el5 set to be updated
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Beginning Kernel Module Plugin
> Finished Kernel Module Plugin
>
> Dependencies Resolved
>
> ============================================================================================================================================
>  Package                      Arch
> Version
> Repository                        Size
> ============================================================================================================================================
> Installing:
>  agg                          i386
> 2.4-2.1
> sl-base                          139 k
> Installing for dependencies:
>  SDL                          i386
> 1.2.10-8.el5
> sl-base                          233 k
>
> Transaction Summary
> ============================================================================================================================================
> Install      2 Package(s)
> Update       0 Package(s)
> Remove       0 Package(s)
>
> Total size: 372 k
> Is this ok [y/N]: y
> Downloading Packages:
>

> exiting because --downloadonly specified
>
> ----
>

> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Wayne

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group