SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2009

From:
"Larry J. Linder" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:38:17 -0500
After reading a lot of the failure reports and noise.

Are the available distributions what we are going to live with for the
immediate future?

When I read the release notes for SL 5.4  there is no mention of the S ATA
problem or it being fixed.

NVidea problems I had with SL 5.3 can be taken care of by disabling the video
module at install and boot up and just set the desired display resolution.
Thank for tip from a SL user.

When I tried to install SL 5.3 on 64 bit system with  Serial ATA disks.   The
installation just hangs.    I have  Suse 11. on this system but really would
like to use SL.  Suse 11.1 - 11.3  has the same NVidea problem.

The ISO images for SL 5.4 were down loaded a few weeks ago and I wonder if
its worth the effort to make the disks and install SL 5.4. since the release
notes never said any thing about the SATA interface or at least I didn't find
it.

Regards
Larry Linder