SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 2009 08:51:37 -0600
Tim Edwards wrote:
> We're setting up a local mirror for our site which will probably include
> updates. We have different machines at various different update levels
> (4.3, 4.7, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3 etc.) and I've setup the mirror for those from
> the contents of the DVD ISOs.
>
> For the updates (which I'm assuming includes errata and fastbugs)on
> ftp.scientificlinux.org it looks like, for example:
>
> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/40rolling/i386/errata/SL/RPMS/
> - contains all updates from the release of 4.8 to the present

Yes and no for 40rolling.
Currently, yes, 40rolling errata just contains everything from 48 to the
present.  Occasionally it has a little bit more if we put something in
there that we found shouldn't go out. But as soon as we start working on
4.9 this all goes away and you have no garantee what is in there.
So, I don't recommend mirroring this.

> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/48/i386/errata/SL/RPMS/ -
> is currently exactly the same as the above (until 4.9 is released)

It is the same as in
"- contains all security updates from the release of 4.8 to the present"

> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/43/i386/errata/SL/RPMS/ -
> contains all updates from the release of 4.3 up to the present (ie. it's
> a superset of the 40rolling and 48 errata directories)
>
> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/47/i386/errata/SL/RPMS/ -
> contains all updates from the release of 4.7 -> present (ie. it's a
> superset of the 40rolling and 48 errata directories but a subset of the
> 43 directory)
>
> Is this understanding correct? If yes then I plan to sync the updates
> for the earliest version we have (4.3 for the 4x series) and use that
> directory for updates for all machines (4.7, 4.8, 4.9?) - will this work?

Yes and no.
It will work for most everything, except for when there is release
specific security updates.
The biggest thing I see is that when we changed the keys that we sign
rpm's with, we updated yum-conf as well as sl-release.  That was
specific for each release.
But if I am thinking correctly that might still work.  Because the
yum-conf and sl-release that you have in 4.3, is a lower version and
release number than the ones in SL 4.7 and 4.8.  So they should just
ignore those.
So ... maybe it will work.  But I'm just warning you that you should
check on those release specific updates on a machine or two before
implementing it to your whole set of machines.

Troy
> Thanks
>
> Tim

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group