SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2009

From:
Chris Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2009 11:22:16 -0800
Urs Beyerle wrote:
> Hi Al,
>
> Al Neumann wrote:
>> [...]
>> Just not really sure what SL has been doing...  i.e: Where are those real
>>
>> scientific apps!!?
>> Somewhat dismayed at the use of "scientific" in current SL.
>> Al
>
> I know that's confusing. And it's the most frequently ask question about
> SL -> https://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/faq/general1
>
> Q. Where are all the 'science' programs?
> Q. Is Scientific Linux better for scientific applications?
>
> A. This linux distribution is called Scientific Linux because it is made
> by scientific labs, for scientific labs and universities. It is not
> named Scientific Linux because it has the largest collection of
> scientific programs. It was named back when it was small, and only the
> scientific labs were using it.
>
> Cheers,
>
>     Urs

Hello Al,

I would suggest enabling the dag repos to get some of the applications
other distros have, including stellarium.

This can be accomplished by editing /etc/yum.repos.d/dag.repo, and changing
enabled=0
enabled=1

If you want to see what sorts of packages are in this repo before
enabling, you can browse them online here:
http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages.php
or here:
ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/extra/dag/redhat/el5/en/i386/dag/RPMS/
(the above URL won't contain any extra info on the packages, though)

These are packages maintained as extra for various EL-variants such as
centOS and Scientific Linux.

Hope this makes your experience more akin to what you're used to!

-Chris