SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 2009 09:55:22 -0600
Hi Al,
Why 2 DVD's?
4.0 Gig + .5 Gig = 4.5 Gig.  Most DVD's are 4.4 Gig

Do you need the second DVD for an install?
i386 - no
x86_64 - possibly, but for a standard install, no

Did you download your images from ftp2.scientificlinux.org?

md5sum and sha1sum are ways of verifying packages that you download.
There are free versions for windows (both xp and vista) but I currently
do not know where to get them from, possibly someone else on the list
knows a good place.
How you use them, is you tell these programs what file you want them to
check.  They then analyze the whole file, and spit out a very long
string.  That string is unique to that file.  You then compare that
string to what we have in our md5sum file, or sha1sum file.
If the two strings match, then the file you download is bit for bit, the
same file as we have up on our server.
If the two strings don't match, then somewhere along the way, something
didn't get downloaded correctly.

Troy

Al Neumann wrote:
> Hello!
> We're not able to get through the install.  Here's what we've done so far
> :
> Attempting installs of the new 5.4 release from 3 different newly 'burnt'
>
> (disk 1*) DVDs over two separate downloads (to be certain the file wasn't
>
> corrupted in transfer) yields the same error, "The file [any/all files]
> cannot be opened.  This is due to a missing file, a corrupt package or
> corrupt media.  Please verify your installation source."
> We have also confirmed hard drive is okay (i.e.; successfully installed
> another distro, then wiped the drive again.)  The last time I saw install
>  go
> okay was v 4.5
> Please advise.
> * Separately to confirm, does the install later prompt for disk 2? -Not s
> ure
> why these were split as I believe they should fit on one 4.7Gb DVD.
> Thanks.
> Al  [log in to unmask]

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI LMSS Group