SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 2009 11:42:43 -0600
Stephan Wiesand wrote:
> Hi Troy,
>
> On Nov 4, 2009, at 16:24, Troy Dawson wrote:
>
>> Recent RHEL releases?
>> No, not recent ... all
>
> right. But for SL4 with the latest kernel (-98.0.15), it's just DOS
> *if* vm.mmap_min_addr is set to, say, 4096. Which, unfortunately, is
> not the default. SL5 with SELinux *dis*abled is safe as well, but if
> SELinux is enforcing or permissive it's not, and nor is SL3.
>
> If you have trouble getting all those kernels & modules & dependencies
> out today, could your try to do SL5 first, then SL3, and then SL4?

Well, the building isn't the hard part, that's all done now for all of
them, and I believe I'll be able to get SL3 and SL4 out today.

SL5 is going to go into testing today, with the expectation that it will
go into the main update on monday.

Why wait that long?
We're updating openafs to version 1.4.11 with this kernel change.
We're using RedHat's Fuse with this kernel change
For x86_64 we're using RedHat's XFS with this kernel change
We're replacing madwifi with the proper atheros driver, with this kernel
change. (maybe)
We're replacing ipw3945 with iwlwifi-3945 with this kernel change. (maybe)

For the maybies (madwifi and ipw3945), I'm not sure the infrastructure
is in place on the older SL 5 releases.  So we might just keep providing
those kernel-modules, which will probrubly be the easy way to do things.

I might be able to be persuaded to move the time frame up, but it
definitely is going into testing today, and will be there at least one
day, no shorter.

Troy