SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2009

From:
"Alec T. Habig" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alec T. Habig
Date:
Sat, 28 Nov 2009 17:27:41 -0600
Lou Arnold writes:
> I wanted to know if the SL distribution was designed specifically to be fast.
>
> I am running a CentOS V5.3 and found that it is noticeably slower than
> Fedora 11, to my great surprise.

RHEL (and thus CentOS and SL) are designed for stability.  They are
based on Fedora 6 in terms of new features/optimization/technology.

More recent Fedoras have more bells, whistles, and optimizations, so
might run faster (if the new features don't consume all the newly freed
cycles), but are more prone to fall over.

Are you using it for a desktop or a server?  I think most all the
performance enhancements in recent Fedoras are aimed at the desktop
(which is where most users notice speed), rather than at the kernel
level.

--
 	    Alec Habig, University of Minnesota Duluth Physics Dept.
		       http://neutrino.d.umn.edu/~habig/