SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2009

From:
Donald Tripp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donald Tripp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 2009 01:20:47 -1000
Generally when a system is selected to be on the Top500 list after
benchmark verification someone at the facility, usually the director
or such, gets a request for system information. Generally any distro
of Linux is put down as just "Linux". I've worked on several systems
on the lists over the years, with many different distros, and they all
get listed as Linux. If you were more specific such as Scientific
Linux, then the list of OS's would balloon since you would have people
putting in RHEL, RedHat, RedHat Enterprise, CentOS, CentOS 4, CentOS
5, etc... There are already listed on the list 5 different releases of
Suse, and 3 of RedHat. And then you have the case of some Unix
variants, such as HP, being called Linux. The problem is there is no
standardization for the question of OS. It just says "OS", and the
site can enter in whatever they want. It would make more sense to list
a distro and no versioning numbers.