SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

November 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 2009 14:30:18 -0600
Hello,
Many of you might have noticed that RedHat just released a new security
kernel for RHEL 5.  Many of you might ask "is this going to delay the
release of SL 5.4?"  It is a legitimate question.  The answer is, no.

We are still planning on releasing SL 5.4 tomorrow as planned.

There are too many dependencies that go along with a kernel for us to
feel good about putting in a new kernel and getting the release out in a
timely manner.

Thanks
Troy

Troy J Dawson wrote:
> Release Candidate 2.5 for Scientific Linux 5.4 has been released
> for both i386 and x86_64.
>
> This is essentially the release.  All the release notes say it is the
> release, everything is in the correct place, and we don't plan on
> changing anything unless there is a real show stopper.
>
> So this is your final chance to test.  If there isn't a real show
> stopper, then tomorrow we will change the 5x link to point to this, and
> we will officially announce the release of Scientific Linux 5.4

> DOWNLOAD INFO
>
>        http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/5rolling/i386
>        http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/5rolling/x86_64
>        http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/5rolling/iso
> or
>        http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/54/i386
>        http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/54/x86_64
>        http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/54/iso

> CHANGES by Scientific Linux
>
> ** Added all the latest errata and fastbugs
>
> ** Verified signatures of rpm's
> **  (Note: jdk x86_64 is a known exception)
>
> ** Verified rpm versions, releases, and names, fixing those that were
> not correct
>
> ** CD and DVD install boot screen now says what version and arch you are
> installing
>
> ** General Cleanup of release notes, readme files and other minor stuff
> that doesn't really affect the release, but makes things look better.

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group