SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 2009 09:22:42 -0500
Hello,
Either x86 (often called i386) or x86_64 would work equally well on that
machine.  As long as Windows is installed first, Scientific Linux should
  see windows and set things up so that during bootup it will be easy to
bootup whichever OS they want.

Which would I recommend.  I would recommend the x86 (i386) version.  The
only reason is because it works best with browser plugins.  For speed
both x86 and x86_64 are going to be the same for your day to day stuff.

One warning.  I am not impressed with Scientific Linux startup time,
especially after playing with Fedora 11.  SL startup time might be good
enough for your user, and after some tweeking can get much faster.  But
I'm just warning you up front.

---

As for when SL 5.4 comes out, here is the plan.  This is just a plan,
and things could slip.

SL 5.4 Release Candidate 2 should come out at the end of this week (Oct.
22 or 23).  This is should be the last real Release Candidate.
Everything should say 5.4 and point to 5.4, except the release notes.

Release Candidate 2 is going to sit for the next week to let everything
give it lots of good tests.

We will then roll up the last of the security updates, the last of the
bugs and make SL 5.4 Release Candidate 2.5.  This should be November 2
or 3rd.
SL 5.4 Release Candidate 2.5 is essentially the release.  Even the
release notes should say released.  As long as there aren't any show
stoppers, The next day or two we release it for real.
So currently, if nothing happens, we expect to release it November 4 or 5.

---

Troy

William Shu wrote:
> Hi,
> This may be a naive or repeated question but could someone please
> suggest which of SL 5.3 (x86 or x86_64) would be better to dual-boot
> (with Windows Vista Home and eventually Windows 7) for the Core 2 Duo
> T6500, 4 GB customised HP laptop whose purchase details are further
> given below. The machine is for a novice wants minimum update hassles,
> can flip between Vista and SL easily, and prefers speed, especially at
> start-up.
>
> The owner is  not familiar with Windows Vista (me neither), and I was
> not impressed by the time it took to boot. Would there be any speed
> penalty and/or "tweaking penalty" in using x86 instead of x86-64 or
> vice-versa on this processor?
>
> Given the newness of the machine (and so perhaps some of its components
> may not yet have drivers etc), would waiting for SL 5.4 be worthwhile.
> If yes, can Troy hasard an informed guess on possible release
> date/period for SL 5.4?
>
> I would be grateful for suggestions
>
> William.
>
> ------------------[ Specification of HP dvt6 laptop ]---------------------
> HP Pavilion Entertainment dv6t customizable Notebook PC
> • Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
> • Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T6500 (2.1GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
> • 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
> • 320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
> • Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
> • 16.0" diagonal High Definition HP Brightview Display (1366x768)
> • LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support
> • Webcam Only
> • Wireless-G Card with Bluetooth
> • 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
> • No Modem

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI LMSS Group