SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2009

From:
Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 2009 23:50:18 +0200
Hi Larry,

some comments from my side ...

First, good to hear that you like the SL LiveCD.

The LiveCD is just build after SL releases a new version. Normally the
LiveCD is not updated afterwards. You have to wait for the next SL
release to get an updated LiveCD.

The LiveCD comes with a write/read file system. All changes are written
to RAM. Just run "yum update" and the software on the LiveCD will be
updated. This can take some time depending on your internet connection
and age of your LiveCD and maybe fill up your memory or maybe not. Or
you can just run "yum update firefox" to get the latest firefox. Because
all changes are stored in memory, after a reboot they are lost again.

However, you can save the changes on an USB stick, see
http://www.livecd.ethz.ch/save.html

This should lead to an uptodate LiveCD. One thing you cannot do: You
cannot update the kernel of a LiveCD.

Editing the LiveCD iso image would be theoretically possible, but I
would not do it, because the data is stored in a special way
(compressed, etc.)

Hope this helps,

     Urs

PS. I would be interested in the CERN excellent Howto of building an own
live CD.
PS. I use for internet banking an uptodate Linux installation. In my
option this is enough secure.