SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2009

From:
"P. Larry Nelson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
P. Larry Nelson
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 2009 16:09:29 -0500
Hi all, the following article has convinced me to go the Live CD route
when doing online banking.  I had been using a squeaky-clean and bare-bones
Windows XP installation (and the latest Firefox) as a guest OS in VMware,
but even that method, I've read, has potential security issues.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2009/10/avoid_windows_malware_bank_on.html

To that end, I've downloaded and burned my first LiveCD (SL 4.8)
and have been playing around with it - quite slick, I must say!

However, it has raised some questions, particularly in regards to what
I'm using it for.  First (probably a Troy/Connie question), how often
do security updates get incorporated into the ISO image?  For example,
there was just a security fix for xpdf/gpdf and the firefox in the
SL4.8 LiveCD certainly does not have the latest bug fixes.

And if the ISO image doesn't get updated then what's the best course
for maintaining a patched LiveCD?  I know that one can build one's own
LiveCD, and the CERN site has an excellent Howto, so conceivably I could
build one and keep it up to date with the latest bug/security fixes,
but I'm also aware that there seems to be software out there that will
let one edit ISO images to extract or add files (ISO Master for Linux
is one I found, but not tried).

Any thoughts on this and/or does anyone have experience editing an ISO image?

Thanks!
- Larry

--
P. Larry Nelson (217-244-9855) | Systems/Network Administrator
461 Loomis Lab                 | High Energy Physics Group