SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2009

From:
Klaus Wacker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Klaus Wacker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 2009 15:11:14 +0200
On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 11:27:35PM +0100, Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, Ken Teh wrote:
>
> >You need to be clear about what you mean by backup.  If you are keeping a
> >mirror of your data, rsync is fine.  But sometimes you want a version of a
> >file from 3 months ago.  rsync is not going to do that for you.
>
> I find that rsync with --link-dest is a good starting point for
> scripting multiple backups to the same disk (not the one you are
> backing up) which are good for recovering files in that scenario.

My favourite backup utility is dirvish. It is based on rsync with
--link-dest, but adds a few nice things. One of those is an expiration
scheme. One can easily set up nightly backups which, e.g, normaly
expire after 2 weeks, but one backup per week will be kept for 3 months,
on per month for 1 year, and one every 3 months forever. Another one is
dirvish-locate.

--
Klaus Wacker              [log in to unmask]
Experimentelle Physik V   http://www.physik.uni-dortmund.de/~wacker