SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

October 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 09:25:49 -0500
Jaroslaw Polok wrote:
> Hello all.
>
>>> 1 - By default, graphviz-lua isn't built.  In SL 5  we have the package
>>> graphviz-lua but lua isn't in Scientific Linux 5. Does anyone mind if we
>>> drop graphviz-lua from the release?
>
> lua is available from EPEL repository (and actually graphviz builds
> against it too)
>
>>> 2 - By default, graphviz-ocaml isn't built.  In SL 5 we have the package
>>> graphviz-ocaml, but ocaml, or even caml, isn't in Scientific Linux 5.
>>> Does anyone mind if we drop graphviz-ocaml from the release?
>
> Same for ocaml (but I havent tried to build it frankly .. I do not know
> anybody using ocaml around me ;-))

I guess that is what I'm asking.  Is anyone using lua and/or ocaml?
I don't want to put in a new language if nobody is using it.
I also don't want a regular Scientific Linux package dependant on
packages that are outside of the distribution.  I know that currently,
graphviz is dependant on outside packages, and I'm trying to fix that.

lua - I've heard of several people using it.  Nobody has asked for it,
but I do know of several people using it.  It shouldn't be too hard to
maintain if it is already in EPEL.  I'm ok with putting it into SL if
anyone wants me to.

ocaml - I haven't heard of anyone using it.  You say that you haven't
heard of anyone using it.  If anyone is using ocaml, I can see a
justification for putting it in, but if it is/was a "flash in the pan"
programming language, I really don't want to put it in.

>>> 3 - By default, graphviz-php isn't built.  In SL 5 we have the package
>>> graphviz-php. But the build is failing whenever we try to build
>>> graphviz-php.  I'm worried that we need a newer version of php for this
>>> to build.  Does anyone mind if we drop graphviz-php from the release?
>
> Please see attached patch (-R -p1 against graphviz 2.24), it is just
> a minor problem with swig argument (-php should be used instead of -php5)

Thank you for the patch, I'll put it in.
Have you sent this to the original graphviz people?  Maybe they might
want to change their PHP entry to have an option for php 4 or php 5.

>>> 4 - By default, PANGOCAIRO is turned on.  Florian La Roche wants this
>>> turned off so that it doesn't pull in all the Pango and Cairo
>>> dependancies.  But when I look at Cairo and Pango, it says
>
> I share your point of view: I believe that pangocairo should be in ...
>
> Besides: graphviz is also available from EPEL (although
> older version AFAIR)
>
> Cheers
>
> Jarek

Thanks
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI LMSS Group