SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2009

Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 2009 03:50:33 +0000
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 11:43 AM, Alexandre Pereira
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Hi Forum
>>
>> I have installed SL-5.3 x86_64 default installation/partitioning scheme in
>> my laptop... the only... call it "different" thing that I have done is an
>> LVM Luks encryption of my HDD ( It is a laptop, and I carry a lot of sensble
>> stuff in it... )

alex,

if you are building data that you wish to protect, make a large partition on
your hard drive for mounting in '/home/', format as ext3, store data there
and encrypt it.

your slowness is because you are encrypting everything, system included, which
does not need to be.

as for hardware, main thing you need is plenty of memory and a decent swap
partition. rest has little relevance, unless you have a slow cpu.

if your internal hard drive is small, give thought to an external hard drive,
linked into something like '/home/users/', store your data there and encrypt
just that drive.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.