SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2009

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 2009 15:43:56 -0500
Alexandre,

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, Alexandre Pereira wrote:

> --Boundary_(ID_g/ZBVGHOBnBV9fLO7hUe6A)
>
> Hi Forum
>
> I have installed SL-5.3 x86_64 default installation/partitioning scheme in
> my laptop... the only... call it "different" thing that I have done is an
> LVM Luks encryption of my HDD ( It is a laptop, and I carry a lot of sensble
> stuff in it... )  In know it is not "MIL-SPEC hard" as a pkcs #13 protocol (
> Elliptic Curve cryptography over discrete fields ) but man...  I do not
> carry warhead design plans, and sizing calculations with me...   :-)
>
> Anyway...   Trying to dump the content of DVD data, 4.5 Gb of it into my
> desktop took me about 70mn...  THIS IS NUTS...    Trying to do the same in
> another install , unencrypted this time, in another machine ammounted to the
> same...

DVD read is related to dvd disk speed.  Have you done any testing of the
io speed other than the DVD?

> now, this IS an issue...   this laptop will be used in heavy number
> crunching engineering applications...  meaning disk I/O operations in the GB
> range ( Finite elements meshes, Genetic algorithm operations... massive data
> transfers to put it simply )
>
> Can this be solved... ?
>
> I used (aaarrgghhhh !!! ) Ubuntu with this same lappy and this problem was
> not there....
>
> What can I do...?

You need to give more details.  What filesystem?  What
specific hardware?  What else did you do other than crypto.  Note that
crypto is going to be slow.  Something has to do the cruyto.  No magic
done here.

Have you run iostat?  If so what does it show?
Have you run any other performance tool?

-Connie Sieh