SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2009

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 2009 20:54:05 +0100
On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, Troy Dawson wrote:

> As Connie said, R is already in the release.
>
> As each release is released (SL 52, 53, 54) we put the latest version of R at
> the time.  But we do *not* put that latest version of R into the errata
> section.  That is because some people want to stay on the version of R that
> they have, and some people want the latest version of R.
> If you want the latest version of R, update to the latest version of SL.
> If you want to stay at the version of R that you have, you can stay at the
> version of SL that you are at.

Or you could point yum at the newer sl5k repo just to get that update,
sort of like

   yum --enablerepo=... update R

which hopefully wouldn't pull in too much else of the newer stuff - I
guess that is important for people who must stay at a particular release
of course...

[ personally we always try to keep all our machines running the latest
minor-version - once we have tested that all the new stuff works with our
local hackery of course... :-) ]

  -- Jon