SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2009

From:
Peter Lemenkov <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Lemenkov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:51:57 +0400
2009/9/29 Alexandre Pereira <[log in to unmask]>:
> Hi Greg
>
> Being an Engineer, possible name for engineering packages would be
> Engineering or Physics, I would like to see Calculix/Calculix Graphix
> (http://www.calculix.de/), OpenFOAM (http://www.opencfd.co.uk/openfoam/),
> BRLCAD (http://brlcad.org/d/) , Dakota (http://www.cs.sandia.gov/dakota/),
> Code Saturne, Syrthes, Salome
> Platform, (http://research.edf.com/the-edf-offers/research-and-development/softwares-107001.html)
> Scilab, Octave/QtOctave/Octave Forge, Paraview (http://www.paraview.org/,9
>  GMSH (http://www.geuz.org/gmsh/), Netgen, Code Aster
> (http://www.code-aster.org/V2/spip.php?rubrique1), ....with these packages I
> guess a great deal of mechanical/civil structural engineering work can be
> done...

Some of these packages have licensing issues, preventing them from
inclusion into EPEL. Others have very complex structure and
buildsystem, so it takes time to add them into EPEL. However, some
work was done already. For ecxample, octave was packaged for EPEL. BRL
CAD is in process of packaging for Fedora (and, probably, EPEL)

--
With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.