SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 2009 21:49:30 -0500
On 09/24/2009 10:14 AM, iskandhar2000 wrote:
> Hi Users...
>
> This is the issue, I have all the upgrades from SL-5.3 x86_64 plus the
> packages that I use from the repositories in a DVD set that i burned in
> another PC when I installed SL, this PC had net connection,  ( I simply
> fetched the /var/cache/yum folder in tared volumes...)
>
> Now I wish to install all the upgrades and the packages in another box
> which has no net connection...
>
> What sould be the commands to upgrade and install packages in this other
> box after untaring the whole of /var/cache/yum in the target machine
> without net connection...?
>
> BRGDS
>
> PS: Several packages in the repos are not installed due to priority
> checks.... How do I disable this...?   Is it advisable to do it, anyway...?
>

> Alex

Hi Alex,
If you take the /var/cache/yum directory from one machine and put it on
another machine, it will work for a short period of time (12 hours or
less).  And then after that, you machine is going to think that it's yum
cache is old and want to refresh that cache.
But, what you can do, is pull all of the rpm's out of the /var/cache/yum
area, and create your own local yum repository.  Then just point your
yum at that.

   mkdir /var/tmp/mylocalyum
   cp /var/cache/yum/*/packages/*.rpm /var/tmp/mylocalyum/
   createrepo /var/tmp/mylocalyum/

Then create your yum repo file.  For this example I'll call it
mylocal.repo  This file has to be in /etc/yum.repos.d/  Put the
following in it

[mylocal]
name=My Local Yum Repo
baseurl=file:///var/tmp/mylocalyum/
enabled=1

As for keeping packages out that you don't want updated, just take them
out before you do the createrepo.

Hope this helps
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI LMSS Group