SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2009

Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 2009 09:48:36 +0000
Troy Dawson wrote:
> Hi,
> In reading through the various emails, one thing I don't see is you
> trying to run
>
>    system-config-printer
>
> That is what I always use to setup my printers.  After setting it up
> there, they just show up in the printers list for firefox and other places.

this is true. but cups should still come up with 'http://localhost:631', which
it is not.

i thank you for your reply.

please excuse my delay in replying.

when i booted sl-5.2 system on 2009.0917, i had a problem in that i could not
run firefox browser or thunderbird email client, so i shut down sl-5.2 and
booted f-8 and ran a full backup of sl-5.2 system.

in running backup, '/' on one partition, '/home' on another, i noted a rather
long time in backup of '/home'. as it turned out, i had a partial copy of
'/home' in my '/home/users' directory and this filled '/home' partition.

i errored and deleted '/home/users/home' with out checking timestamps.

not knowing any practical reason for this, and current security problems with
firefox, i presumed worst and wiped both partitions.

i now have a fresh install of sl-5.2 and ran into unsolved problems in
running updates and reason for delay in replying.

do to update problems, i need to put this problem on hold and correct update
problems with yum and yumex.

i am building a list of problems with yum and yumex and will post them later
today, 2009.0923.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.