SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 2009 12:20:42 -0500
Alec T. Habig wrote:
> Troy Dawson writes:
>> It is the same for *every* version of SL.
>
> A suggestion - take a look at the .spec file from yum-cron.  There's
> some logic in there you could steal which ensures that the current state
> is preserved on upgrade.
>
> Not saying the default for a fresh install should be "off" (as it is in
> yum-cron since that was in the Fedora packaging guidelines), just that
> upgrades should respect any changes made by the user.  If someone made
> the decision to disable this, that decision should be respected.
>
>     Alec
>
> PS - use the current Fedora yum-cron as a baseline for anything, the
> EPEL version is frozen at an ancient state to avoid CentOS conflicts.

Just so ya'll know, I didn't mean to be so terse, I'm just currently at
a place with very poor internet connection, and that was about all I
could reply with.

I'll take a look at the specs that you are talking about when I get a
better internet connection.

We will be looking indepth at how we do automatic updates in SL6.  But
our phillosophy has always been that out of the box, it should do
automatic updates.  Then if an adminstator is good enough that they know
what they are doing, there should be a way for them to disable or alter
the automatic updates.

But you are correct, these last yum-conf updates should not have changed
whatever you had set in chkconfig.  If we ever have to do this mass
yum-conf update again, we will have that fixed. When I get to a decent
internet connection area, I'll investigate and fix up the spec files so
this will hopefully not happen again.

Thanks
Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group