SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2009

From:
Chris Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 2009 13:20:22 -0700
>> Thanks Alan.
>  > I followed the steps that you given previously to the thread. Now am able to
>  > access network.
>
>  > http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19920&forum=41
>  > - Not able to access my notwork - Network device not recognized
>  >
>  > Browse the ElRepo site and download the kmod-atl1 rpm that matches your
>  > kernel's type and arch. Then copy the file over to your box and issue:
>  >
>  > rpm -ivh kmod-atl1
>

> That is excellent news. You have tracked down a recent CentOS forum
>  thread that covers your issue exactly!  :-D
>
>  Now all you need is for someone else to help you get your wireless
>  connection to work. (I'm sorry, I won't be able to help with that -- I
>  have no experience with wireless networking.)
>

>  Alan.

Sorry to bring this up again, I've recently got a couple of computers
with the Asus P5Q motherboard on it.

lspci -m | grep net returns:
02:00.0 "Ethernet controller" "Attansic Technology Corp." "L1 Gigabit
Ethernet Adapter" -rb0 "ASUSTeK Computer Inc." "Unknown Device 8226"

uname -rm returns:
2.6.18-128.1.1.el15xen x86_64

I've installed
http://elrepo.org/linux/elrepo/el5/x86_64/RPMS/kmod-atl1-xen-1.2.40.3-2.el5.elrepo.x86_64.rpm
from a USB thumbdrive and the light turns on in the RJ45 connector, but
I think I'm missing a key step.  ifconfig doesn't return eth0 information...

So basically, I think I don't know how to initialize eth0...? Can
someone put me on the right track?

Thanks ahead of time,
Chris