SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2009

From:
Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 2009 10:35:08 +0200
scot Andrews wrote:
> I installed the latest SL hoping that this would come with all scientific
> packages. I was amazed that the default installation had
> none of them, not even g77, but that was fixed. Still, I am surprised-I
> expected at least one special submenu for scientific packages and see
> none,not even grace. grace I cannot even get with yum. Am I missing
> something?

maybe this answers your question:

https://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/faq/general1

Q. Where are all the 'science' programs?

A. This linux distribution is called Scientific Linux because it is made by scientific labs, for scientific labs and
universities. It is not named Scientific Linux because it has the largest collection of scientific programs. It was
named back when it was small, and only the scientific labs were using it.