SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

September 2009

From:
Steven Timm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Timm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:52:21 -0500
I have one redhat license and am running 2.6.18-164.el5 (together
with the rest of the 5.4 updates) on my laptop, it is working fine
for me.

Murphy's law of kernels says that as soon as you push out the existing
kernel, the Upstream Vendor will release the next errata kernel.

Steve timm

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, Troy Dawson wrote:

> Hello,
> I assume that most everyone on list list has seen that RedHat has released a
> new kernel for SL5.  What is everyone's opinion on pushing that out as a
> general kernel errata?
> I personally an still nervous about it, and it's security issue is only a
> medium.  The NFSv4 issue has me concerned, and I worry what other bugs are
> out there that we currently don't know about.
> But ... people have been waiting patiently for the latest kernels with the
> latest drivers.
> Thoughts?
> Troy

Steven C. Timm, Ph.D  (630) 840-8525
[log in to unmask]  http://home.fnal.gov/~timm/
Grid Facilities Department, FermiGrid Services Group, Assistant Group Leader.