SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

September 2009

From:
Steven Timm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Timm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 2009 12:29:47 -0500
Thanks..
for what it's worth, on my one redhat-licensed laptop (Dell precision),
with the
new kernel the wifi light works where it never did before,
and the audio drivers now work too and I have a beep.

Steve

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009, Troy Dawson wrote:

> Steven Timm wrote:
>> There's a new errata kernel (2.6.18-164) from RedHat which appears to come
>> only with RHEL5/update 4.  Presumably that will be available
>> whenever SL5.4 is released, is that correct?  And what then is
>> the schedule to back-port it to the earlier SL5's?
>>

> For from email sent to scientific-linux-users with the subject
> "SL 5.4 Questions and Answers"
>
> Q: Will you be releasing the "security" kernel (2.6.18-164.el) that came
> out with RHEL 5.4 as a security kernel for the rest of SL 5?
> A: No.
> RedHat had just released a security kernel before 5.4 was released.
> This earlier security kernel addressed the worst security issues.
> The first kernel after a minor update tends to do bad things to the
> older releases, such as SL 5.0.  So we will wait for the next security
> kernel, which will also hopefully have the major bugs shaken out.
> BUT, we reserve the right to change our mind on this.
>
> Troy

Steven C. Timm, Ph.D  (630) 840-8525
[log in to unmask]  http://home.fnal.gov/~timm/
Grid Facilities Department, FermiGrid Services Group, Assistant Group Leader.