SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

June 2009

From:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 2009 07:50:31 -0700
On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 7:32 AM, Troy Dawson<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Jaroslaw Polok wrote:

>> - all use symbols outside of RHEL 5 'stable kernel ABI'
>>
>> We use the Driver Update Program (http://dup.et.redhat.com/)
>> packaging at CERN since few months and it works very well
>> for us.
>>
>> Jarek
>>

> I can start by putting them into contrib, and then migrate them into the
> main release.  But let's start with contrib and work from there.
>
> This would only by for SL 5 correct?
> And which yum plugin works with these kernel modules?
> And, is this going to still work with SL6 (RHEL6)?  I know it's not out yet,
> but does anyone have any good guesses.

It will, most likely, not work with RHEL6 because the kABI will
change.  But it should be rather trivial to build the same kmods
against RHEL6.

The kABI is supposed to remain the same throughout a given major
release.  However, we (ELRepo) noticed there was a breakage for
certain packages.  The nvidia driver is one of them.  It looks like
the driver needs to be built for each point release.  But this is
rather a rare case.

> Troy
> p.s. Does this actually fix the XFS, and other related problems?
> p.p.s. I will look at CentOS Extras and ElRepo.  But I'd like to start with
> Cern's packages first.

Surely.  If you need any input from ELRepo, we are on the SL list.

Akemi