SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 May 2009 02:04:34 -0500
Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Alan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>> Thanks Alan.
>>  > I followed the steps that you given previously to the thread. Now am able to
>>  > access network.
>>
>>  > http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19920&forum=41
>>  > - Not able to access my notwork - Network device not recognized
>>  >
>>  > Browse the ElRepo site and download the kmod-atl1 rpm that matches your
>>  > kernel's type and arch. Then copy the file over to your box and issue:
>>  >
>>  > rpm -ivh kmod-atl1
>
>> That is excellent news. You have tracked down a recent CentOS forum
>>  thread that covers your issue exactly!  :-D
>>
>>  Now all you need is for someone else to help you get your wireless
>>  connection to work. (I'm sorry, I won't be able to help with that -- I
>>  have no experience with wireless networking.)
>
>>  Alan.
>
> The 3945 wireless device is fully supported in SL 5.3 (iwl3945
> driver).  There is a CentOS wiki article that may help you:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless#head-0cf42e721d60c0cbd8dfe145a4899390b41a5c4c
>
> Please note that, unlike CentOS, SL provides the firmware for this
> device.  Unless you must stay with the older kernel, I suggest you
> update to the current kernel.  If you cannot install the 5.3 kernel,
> then your option is to use the ipw3945 driver (now deprecated) which
> is also explained in that wiki article.
>
> Akemi

I'd like to second Akemi's words.  If it's possible, do a fresh
reinstall of SL 5.3.  The intel wireless should just work if you do.
Well, you'll need to turn NetworkManager on usually

/sbin/chkconfig --level 2345 NetworkManager on
/etc/init.d/NetworkManager start

We had a user that had the same chipset as you, and for SL 5.1 and 5.2
it never worked very well.  Even when he did a yum update to SL 5.3,
because enough of the old driver and setups were still on his system.
He did a fresh install of SL 5.3, and his wireless worked great.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group