SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2009

From:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 2009 10:04:01 -0700
On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Alan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> Thanks Alan.
>  > I followed the steps that you given previously to the thread. Now am able to
>  > access network.
>
>  > http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19920&forum=41
>  > - Not able to access my notwork - Network device not recognized
>  >
>  > Browse the ElRepo site and download the kmod-atl1 rpm that matches your
>  > kernel's type and arch. Then copy the file over to your box and issue:
>  >
>  > rpm -ivh kmod-atl1

> That is excellent news. You have tracked down a recent CentOS forum
>  thread that covers your issue exactly!  :-D
>
>  Now all you need is for someone else to help you get your wireless
>  connection to work. (I'm sorry, I won't be able to help with that -- I
>  have no experience with wireless networking.)

>  Alan.

The 3945 wireless device is fully supported in SL 5.3 (iwl3945
driver).  There is a CentOS wiki article that may help you:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless#head-0cf42e721d60c0cbd8dfe145a4899390b41a5c4c

Please note that, unlike CentOS, SL provides the firmware for this
device.  Unless you must stay with the older kernel, I suggest you
update to the current kernel.  If you cannot install the 5.3 kernel,
then your option is to use the ipw3945 driver (now deprecated) which
is also explained in that wiki article.

Akemi