SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2009

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 May 2009 18:18:02 +0800
Matt Harrington wrote:
> I'm thinking about consolidating around SL and am investigating
> creating a yum repository for my needs.  I mostly have the hang of
> building RPMs, but was unsure about how to approach setting up a
> suitable directory structure.  For example, let's say I want to
> install all of my packages in /opt2.  Will the first RPM I install be
> considered the owner of the /opt2 directory?  If so, I'd imagine that
> would cause problems later on when uninstalling that particular
> package if other packages had been installed there as well.  Perhaps I
> should create a RPM for my local customizations such as the creation
> of /opt2?
>
> Matt

Why do you think you should install to /opt2? I can't for the moment
think why I would, but if I did I most likely create an rpm that
contains that directory structure, and list it as a prereq for
everything  else I was going to build & install there.

However, this isn't a very standard way of doing things.

Under some circumstances I might create an rpm that installs to
/home/<exampleapplication>, but it would be pretty rare.

What I most likely do, especially for software to be shared amongst
users (say, example-web-browser) is to create as many rpms as seem
sensible, to install into /usr/bin, /usr/sbin and /usr/lib{,64} just as
all the vendors' applications do. That way, they become available
immediately to users, and if their are any conflicts in program names,
instead of mysterious failures (maybe of vendor's applications), users
(including me) would likely find out at install time when file names
conflict.

--

Cheers
John