SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2009

From:
Craig Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 2009 10:29:32 +0200
On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 09:47 +0200, Tim Edwards wrote:
> suvayu ali wrote:
>

> > AFAIK skype doesn't use pulseaudio so the lack of pulseaudio should
> > not be a problem. But I maybe wrong.
> >
> It doesn't support pulseaudio, much to the annoyance of those of us who
> use more up-to-date distros than RHEL/SL at home.

I just wish there was one clear winner among the distros for audio,
instead of the plethora of audio architectures out there, but I
digress ...

According to the skype webpage's support section here:

http://www.skype.com/help/guides/soundsetup_linux.html

Quote:

> OSS (Open Sound System): The oldest sound support available in Linux.
> This type is natively supported by Skype.

<snip>

> ALSA is more modern than OSS. Currently, Skype does not natively
> support ALSA, so you will need to install ALSA OSS emulation layer in
> order to use ALSA devices in Skype.

<snip>

> ESD (Enlightened Sound Daemon): This is GNOME default. Run Skype
> through esddsp pipe to enable sound. Do it like this (again, assuming
> you are in the directory where skype executable resides):
> esddsp ./skype
> Be sure to run esd daemon using "esd -d /dev/dsp" because on some
> distros (e.g. Gentoo) the esddsp wrapper checks for parameters present
> to esd daemon and won't detect the daemon if there are no parameters.

Anyone every tried to configure either the OSS emulation layer for alsa,
or alternatively used the ESD method?

I tried looking for an alsa emulation layer for OSS support, but a quick
search in SL repositories returned no results for the keyword 'oss'.

I'm running GNOME so I have esd installed, but I get this:

> $ esd -d /dev/dsp
> - using device /dev/dsp
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM /dev/dsp

Also, I tried

> $ esddsp ./skype

with no errors, but I still can't hear my recorded message when I use
the test service.

I'm not sure what to do now, but I thought this e-mail might jog
someone's memory on how it could be done?

Regards,
Craig