SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2009

From:
Glenn Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 May 2009 14:03:42 -0700
Craig Moore wrote:

> I've been trying to use skype (unsucessfully) for some time. I've
> googled, looked at bugs, and read through forms with no luck. I can hear
> the audio fine, and I've tested the microphone using alsamixer and it
> works.

That's definitely the first thing to check.

> However, when I make a test call I can hear the prerecorded message,
> but when I record my message it isn't repeated so there is no
> outgoing audio.
>
> I've read somewhere that there might be a problem with my firewall?!? If
> so, then how would I check?
>
> Here are my details:
>
> Skype 2.0.0.72
> OS SL5.2.x86_64
> alsa-utils 1.0.14-3.rc4.el5.x86_64
> Sound Card: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio
> Computer OPTIPLEX 755 DT : INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q660

I have

skype-2.0.0.72-centos.i586
SL 5.3 x86_64
alsa-utils-1.0.17-1.el5.x86_64

working on a couple of Dell Precisions. One has the same sound chip as
yours. These are normal SL 5.3, with no non-standard audio packages. I
think it was also working under SL5.2, but can't remember for sure.

I found I sometimes had to fiddle with the skype audio settings.
Unchecking "let skype adjust my audio settings" helped in one case.
The other thing was that for some reason, one of the systems presented
a large number of choices for the input and output sound devices (all
with not very meaningful names) in the skype audio settings panel, and
it was a question of trying all possible combinations until one
worked. It was all very random...

I don't know how to test for a firewall problem, other than turning it
off (if you have control of it).