SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2009

From:
Steven Timm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Timm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 May 2009 22:08:36 -0500
I see the same "Warning:  Driver for device wlan0 recommend version
21...."
on a pure Red Hat 5 update 3 machine, so whatever that warning
is coming from, it's not from anything that Troy or the rest of SL
is doing.

Warning: Driver for device wlan0 recommend version 21 of Wireless
Extension,
but has been compiled with version 20, therefore some driver features
may not be available...

And my wireless is working mostly OK.

Steve Timm

On Sun, 17 May 2009, Troy Dawson wrote:

> Hi Tom,
> I am going to snip parts of your message out.  Not that I don't think it is
> important, but more so I can concentrate on one thing.
>
> Tom Rosmond wrote:
> ... snip ...
>>
>> Warning: Driver for device wlan0 recommend version 21 of Wireless
>> Extension,
>> but has been compiled with version 20, therefore some driver features
>> may not be available...
>>
>> wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"olympic"            Mode:Managed
>> Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point:
>> 00:1B:2F:E3:DF:4A             Bit Rate=1 Mb/s   Tx-Power=27 dBm
>> Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B             Link
>> Quality=51/100  Signal level=-62 dBm  Noise level=-95 dBm
>>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>>
> ... snip ...
>>
>> 3. Although the versions of madwifi and wireless-tools in SL 5.3 should
>> be more current than I installed on the 32 bit system, the warning about
>> version mismatch for the 64 bit system suggests otherwise.  This I don't
>> understand.
>>
> ... snip ...
>
> This has me concerned because this isn't the first time I've seen this
> message.
>
> I'm worried that perhaps the machine I am compiling these on has a wrong
> version of a package or two.  Despite my efforts I am not the greatest
> wireless expert and it's possible I'm doing something wrong with the
> compiling.  From what I can tell, my 32 bit and 64 bit compile area's are the
> same for wireless.  But maybe I am looking at the wrong packages.
>
> Does anyone know where I should start looking to track down this error?  Or
> even if there is anything I can do to fix it?
>
> Troy

Steven C. Timm, Ph.D  (630) 840-8525
[log in to unmask]  http://home.fnal.gov/~timm/
Grid Facilities Department, FermiGrid Services Group, Assistant Group Leader.