SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 May 2009 22:04:53 -0500
Hi Tom,
I am going to snip parts of your message out.  Not that I don't think it is
important, but more so I can concentrate on one thing.

Tom Rosmond wrote:
... snip ...

> Warning: Driver for device wlan0 recommend version 21 of Wireless
> Extension,
> but has been compiled with version 20, therefore some driver features
> may not be available...
>
> wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"olympic"
>           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point:
> 00:1B:2F:E3:DF:4A
>           Bit Rate=1 Mb/s   Tx-Power=27 dBm
>           Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B
>           Link Quality=51/100  Signal level=-62 dBm  Noise level=-95 dBm
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

... snip ...

> 3. Although the versions of madwifi and wireless-tools in SL 5.3 should
> be more current than I installed on the 32 bit system, the warning about
> version mismatch for the 64 bit system suggests otherwise.  This I don't
> understand.

... snip ...

This has me concerned because this isn't the first time I've seen this message.

I'm worried that perhaps the machine I am compiling these on has a wrong
version of a package or two.  Despite my efforts I am not the greatest wireless
expert and it's possible I'm doing something wrong with the compiling.  From
what I can tell, my 32 bit and 64 bit compile area's are the same for wireless.
  But maybe I am looking at the wrong packages.

Does anyone know where I should start looking to track down this error?  Or
even if there is anything I can do to fix it?

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI LMSS Group